Prevent Dog Stealing Campaign
Dog Stealing Happens, You can help prevent it. . .
Dog theft has increased over 650% from 2008 to 2016*. This statistic is based on reported dog thefts — many thefts go unreported. In New York City, dogs left tethered but unattended are particularly vulnerable. Rational Animal has created a campaign to increase awareness about dog stealing and how we can work together to protect our dogs.
Small and large dogs are at-risk: The top 5 breeds stolen: Pit Bulls, Yorkies, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, Labradors, and French Bulldogs.
Remind people of the dog stealing issue by —
- Sharing our latest PSA (coming soon) online to remind people about the dangers of leaving their dogs tied up.
- Contact your local TV channel and ask them to broadcast our PSA to prevent dog stealing. Please contact us for more information at email@example.com.
- Use our Prevent Dog Stealing Advocacy Flyers that can be downloaded on StoreEnvy. (Coming Soon)
- Use #Preventdogstealing to post tips and ways to help.
Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe
- Never leave your dog where you can't see him/her. It can take only a few seconds to steal a dog.
- Ask a friend to watch your dog while you go into a store that doesn't allow dogs.
- Choose dog friendly locations to patronize while out with your dog.
- Microchip your dog. If you dog were to be stolen, a microchip registered to you will ensure increased chances of finding your dog if they are stolen and resold. Vets can scan the microchip and contact you.
Why do people steal dogs?
- Pets are sold on Craigslist, or through the black market.
- Pets are held for ransom while awaiting a reward from the pet owner.
- Pets are given away as gifts to family and friends.
- Pets are used as bait in dog-fighting rings.
- Pets command a high price if the dog is a pure breed.
- Some people may think they are ‘rescuing” because they think the dog is abandoned or abused.
- Someone may want your pet to keep for themselves.
Protect your best friend!
Never tie your dog outside of a store and leave unattended.
Help us spread the word via social media — we have a new public service announcement about this topic coming soon — sign in to volunteer today!
*Source: American Kennel Club
Share this PSA (below) and help remind people to protect dogs by not leaving them vulnerable. #Preventdogstealing
Protect Our Dogs #PreventDogStealing
Written & Directed by Joe Whelski
Starring: Sarah Burkhalter, Mila Milosevic, Dan Dobransky & Bella (the Dachshund)
DP: Lance Kaplan
Produced by: Joe Whelski
Executive Director: Susan Brandt
Associate Producers: Lesley Hennen and Matt Hartman
Editor: Matt Hartman
Sound Design and Re-Recording Mix: Jake Dilley
Colorist: Alex Jimenez
AC & Set Photographer: Ryan Smith
Music: "Five”, performed by The Color Pharmacy; Lyrics by Jake Dilley. Music by Jake Dilley, Dan Larsen, and Jacob Quam; Produced by Mark Schwandt
© Rational Animal 2017. All Rights Reserved.
Give us a call to learn about volunteer opportunities!
© Rational Animal 2014. All Rights Reserved